Psychic Character Advancement
A human’s parapsychic potential can both grow and change over time; little-used skills may be forgotten and new disciplines mastered – although the powers of the mind are less malleable than mundane skills or personality aspects, and overall Kleene class never diminishes. Like other FATE traits, characters can gain and alter talents over time. Instead of the stunt-related advances, psychic characters can choose from these options. For convenience, the standard advancement options are listed below as well as parapsychic advancement.
During a minor milestone, you can choose to do one (and only one) of the following:
- Switch the rank values of any two skills, or replace one Average skill with one that isn’t on your sheet.
- Rename one aspect that isn’t your high concept.
- Swap any one class 1 talent (rating 1-3) for another.
In addition to the benefit of a minor milestone, you also gain all three of the following:
- One additional skill point, which you can spend to buy a new skill at Average (+1) or increase an existing skill by one rank.
- If you have any severe consequences, you can rename them to begin the recovery process, if you haven’t already.
- You may swap the ratings of a class 1 talent and a class 2 talent (rating 4-5), or swap one class 3 specialty for another (potentially re-specialising in a different talent).
Achieving a major milestone confers the benefits of a significant milestone and a minor milestone, and all of the following additional options:
- If you have an extreme consequence, rename it to reflect that you’ve moved past its most debilitating effects. This allows you to take another extreme consequence in the future, if you desire.
- Advance a skill beyond the campaign’s current skill cap, if you’re able to, thus increasing the skill cap.
- Rename your character’s high concept if you desire.
- One additional talent point, which you can use to increase an existing talent by one rank.